This simple and poignant memorial was built to honour three innocent Esanatogliesi citizens who lost their lives by Nazi hands in the afternoon of April 1st, 1944.
In March 1944, the Gothic Line had imposed a great concentration of Nazi-Facist soldiers to the Marche region, surrounding Esanatoglia and nearby cities.
Nazi army was in constant search for resistance groups and partisans actively opposing to Hitler's regime. In that afternoon, SS oficials seized men and women returning from work and confined them to a corner in Piazza Cavour, demanding them to come forward with information and delate anyone they knew to be a member of the resistance.
Although terrorised by the brutality of armed men threating their lives, the group stood strong and returned nothing but a defiant silence.
Showing the kind of courage oppressive regimes give cowards, SS soldiers then approached the unarmed group and in random picked three young men, Alberico Pacini, Vitto Pistola and Amos Ubadini, dragging them to the opposide wall. Lined up and, refusing to betray others to save their lives, they were summarily executed with gun shots.
The bullet holes still visible today in the wall bear witness to the savagery of a regime that tried and, as so many times in History, was defeated in the attempt to suffocate the indomitable human spirit of freedom and justice, which these three men defended at the cost of their own lives.