Built to commemorate soldiers and civilians of Esanatoglia fallen in the First and Second World Wars, the monument was first erected to honour the heroes of Esanatoglia who died in the Great War (1914-1918).
With the end of the Second World War, the monument was extended to include further names of Esanatogliesi soldiers and civilians that were killed, deported or went missing during the conflict.
The monument is composed of two separate elements:
:: Marble Plaque
Carved in marble are the names of soldiers and civilians victims of WWi and WWII as well as an inscription in Italian (below), adorned with a pyre of flames which symbolises life and sacrifice.
:: Tholos Monument
Built in similar architecture style of the tholos of Ancient Greece, this circular open construction is uplifted through a seven-steps stair.
Supported by six pillars, the architrave bears the inscription "Monumenti ai Caduti di Guerra". In the altar at the centre, flowers are placed continuously and wreaths are laid down in commemorative dates.