After the take over by the Church, the history the city evolved somehow in parallel to the Papal State, with alternate moments of prosperity, as we can see in the architecture still today visible in the main street (Corso Vittorio Emmanuele) in the historic center and in the so many religious buildings and monuments.
One of the important aspects to qualify the civil history of the Comune is the fact that, even during the long ruling period of Varano, Santa Anatolia has not lost its autonomy entirely.
The first records of Statutory Norm is dated of 1324; twenty years later there was a second and more complete edition that remained in vigor until 1552, when it was then published.
In the command of local institutions was the Podesta camerinese, the Vicar and the local Judge-Adjunt of Council & Magistrate; to these authorities it is added the Congregation of Arts: judges and notary publics, merchants, shoemakers, locksmith, masons, taylors and potters.
The last ones in particular developed their craft during a long period of time, achieving such good artistic quality that in the XVIII century the products were exported across the valley.
In regards to the town structure and planning, Esanatoglia was closer to a city model although the economy was based upon agriculture.
The Castel was divided in districts (or quarters) of which
:: Three Internal, within XI / XII century walls:
:: One External
Sant' Andrea: encompassing the two villages of Santa Caterina and San Rocco, which are inside the second walls from the early IV century.
This subdivision corresponded to the parishes, the Council and the Magistrate.
The defense was entrusted to the Rocca del Castrum and to other fortifications farther away from the walls: the Rocca di Santa Maria in Monte, that dominated the valley of Passo di Palazzo (near Fonte la Torre); the one placed on the slopes of the Monte Consegno, with the panoramic view over the Esino valley, Matelica and Fabriano (in the site of Eremo di San Cataldo) and the third, of which there are no traces, that would rise on Monte Marvizzo.
Four main gates (Porta) would give access to the fortified villa and their names are:
* Porta Panicale
* Porta Mercato
* Porta Sant' Andrea
The Porta del Borgo, part of the first and most ancient wall (XI - XII centuries), was included in the fortified nucleus at the same time as the quartier of Sant'Andrea.